As an industry leader, BOC is preparing for a future where demand for training and certification is expected to grow. Driving this demand are an aging workforce, an evolution in skill requirements for commercial building operation, and a growing emphasis on professional credentials for workforce development.
To prepare for this future, BOC is aligning with an international standard developed by the International Organization for Standardization (ISO) for organizations that certify personnel. This standard, developed on an industry consensus model, establishes best practice guidelines for defining job skills of the workforce and for assessing knowledge using psychometrically developed exam questions. Alignment with the ISO 17024 standard brings new improvements to BOC:
- An up-to-date, industry-validated job scope for the building operator profession,
- A new comprehensive exam, written by industry subject matter experts in conformance with the ISO standard, and
- Assurance for employers and BOC sponsors that certification is a valid assessment of knowledge and skills in energy efficient building operation.
What does this mean for graduates?
All graduates from BOC will be transitioned to a Training Certificate of Completion with the option to take the third-party Exam for the Certified Building Operator designation. What is the difference?
If you completed a series in 2015 or prior:
- You will receive a notification mid-2017 about exam options
- You have until December 31 2017 to take the exam for a seamless transition to the Certified Building Operator credential
- You will be transitioned to a Training Certificate of Completion on January 1 2018 if you do not take the exam
If you completed or started a series in 2016:
- You will receive a notification mid-2018 about exam options
- You have until December 31 2018 to take the exam for a seamless transition to the Certified Building Operator credential
- You will be transitioned to a Training Certificate of Completion on January 1 2019 if you do not take the exam
If you complete a series starting in 2017 or later:
- You will earn a Training Certificate of Completion upon successfully finishing the series
- You may opt to take the national exam for the Certified Building Operator credential any time after series completion. Information regarding exam registration will be distributed via your series coordinator.